Skip to main content

The Date That Came....And Went

I can't say I never thought the day would come. I, of course, always did.  I mean you can dread a date as it approaches but you can't deny the fact that time always passes in the same manner; twenty-four hours and a new day starts. It is a constant in this life we can count on.  It's just, when I put the date on our calendar it seemed so far off. Something I would have to deal with in the future. Then the future becomes the present and before you are fully prepared you are dealing with something that maybe you just were not ready to deal with.


My son graduated from high school. I am still trying to get use to the reality of that sentence. My son graduated from high school and will be going away to college this fall. Another not so elusive date on the calendar. When the school year started the end seemed so far away. But slowly as the school year has progressed and with it came many last dates. Last football game, last home basketball game, last school dance, last day of school. Then the final, final date. Graduation.

It has been a whirlwind. Baccalaureate, Honors Night, Graduation Ceremony, and finally a graduation party. More than a few tears have been shed over the past week. Some alone, some publicly. Some were a silent lonely tear while others have been hard sobbing ones. When I was not crying, I put my energy into preparing and planning for his graduation party.




The Boy wanted a purple and white themed party to celebrate his future college. I felt like the party needed to be connected to his high school. We settled on a "Past and Future" themed party and used both school colors.  Our home does not have an open floor plan conducive to large gatherings so our hope was for a backyard party. We put a new deck on the house last year and we hoped  to use it. A local party supply business was able to rent me tables, chairs, and table cloths  to polish everything off.



The Boy and The Husband were pretty insistent on BBQ for the menu. I advocated hard for Walking Taco's but in the end, they won and we made plans to smoke brisket and a whole pig for the party. Smoking a whole pig is not an easy task and I think if you ask The Husband if he would do it again, his vote would be for Walking Tacos! The Short Chic has jumped on board, her seven year old self, already promised me she would want tacos for her graduation party. We will see if she changes her mind in eleven years.


Mother Nature threatened us and even gave us rain all morning of the party, but an hour before our start time, she dried up and gave us a perfect Missouri afternoon free of rain. The Husband has been actively growing grass all spring. I think the graduation party might have ruined his new grass. The yard was just a muddy mess in places.

The Boy was not the only graduates at his party. Two of his cousins also graduated and they attended our party. It was great having them together one last time. One of them will move away this week, another leaves next month. Our little birds are leaving the nest.



I have come to terms that my style is very rustic chic. The Boy does not like the chic part of that! He thinks it is too girly. I kept reminding him that he won the whole pig fight. I get a little chic. I used a lot of rustic details. Mason jar beverage dispensers, wooden crates, galvanized metal, chalkboards,  even twine.  I found purple and white flamingo's and added them to the yard. I planted purple flowers in flower beds. I wanted a photo booth but The Boy said that was too girly. Instead I made foam board numbers and covered them with tinted senior photos.  It made a perfect stage for photos.

I found myself not wanting the day to end. I am so thankful I have great friends and one amazing cousin who worked their hind-ends off so that I could mingle and be present in the moment. Thank you all for that.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Weekend Project: A PVC Camping Lamp Post and Flag Holder

I have seen a few of these around campsites and I knew I would like to have one. The only problem that I had is The Husband. He already thinks we drag too much stuff with us when we go camping and if I had told him my desire to have a PVC Camping Light Pole he would have shut it down quickly! So, that leaves a girl with only one choice: Figure out how to do it by herself. I did some internet searching and found a few road maps on RV forums. They seemed easy enough! I visited the local hardware store for the supplies: An exterior post lantern light 2 inch PVC pipe (I used 5 feet but had to purchase a 10 foot piece) A 3 inch toilet flange A 3 inch to 2 inch Reducer PVC Glue A 12 foot electric cord kit 2 - 3/4 inch PVC Caps I also used a few supplies we already had on hand: White Spray Paint 3 1/2 foot - 3/4 inch PVC Pipe Drill Bits (1 inch and 1/2 inch) Tent Stakes The first step was preparing the lantern light. I could only find black i

Tonsillectomy (Warning Photos!)

The Short Chic came down with a pretty nasty case of strep throat back in April. So, when The Boy started complaining about his throat hurting about 12 days later, I was pretty confident that he had inherited his sister's strep. Instead, The Boy was diagnosed with a peritonsillar abscess growing on his right tonsil.  We had to immediately see an ENT  Physician who took a needle and drained the abscess. He removed about 5.5 cc of puss from The Boys throat.and then told us that once you have a peritonsillar abscess you were high risk to keep getting them. The Boy's tonsils were now compromised and needed to be removed.  We were told to plan for a two week recovery so we worked a surgery into our summer plans. Between family vacations, summer sports, and the beginning of school The Boy had his second surgery. A tonsillectomy.  Pre-surgery prepping went well. It must be nice to be young and have healthy veins for an IV! The Boy had lots of pre-surgery visitors. My

Liver Cheese: A Family Tradition

Today is an anniversary date. One of those dates you wish you did not have to remember but there is no way you can forget.  Fifteen years ago today,two days after his birthday, my father died of lung cancer. He was a lifelong smoker and his cancer was aggressive. His battle was short. He fought for six short months after his diagnosis. He knew the chemo was not working and that his time was limited. When he came to this realization he became the best dad in the world.                                                In the days before my father's passing, my family shared some memorable moments. One of those moments centers around the deli meat: Liver Cheese.I would not be surprised if you have never heard of it, or even never tasted it. But I was raised on it as it was one of my Dad's favorite things.  What is it? Well, it is a German food that is actually called Leberkase. It is bacon, corned beef, pork, and onion that is ground together and baked. It comes with a