Skip to main content

Christmas Cookie Exchange: Lemon Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread

Cookies.

I think we all might have a touch of Cookie Monster in us when it comes to our love of cookies. I mean, really, who does not love cookies?

One of my favorite holiday traditions is an old fashioned cookie exchanges. You bring in a couple dozen cookies and swap with your friends. You leave with a sampling of cookies; maybe an old favorite or maybe even something new.


My cookie of the year is a Lemon Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread. The red cranberries and the green pistachio's just look like Christmas in a cookie.  The lemon just gives the cookie an extra pop of flavor.

Lemon Cranberry Pistachio Shortbread Cookies

2 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup unsalted pistachio's coarsely chopped
1 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
zest from 1 lemon

Mix the flour and salt together in a separate bowl. In your mixer beast the butter until smooth.  Add the sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest. Gently stir in the flour mixture just till incorporated. Fold in the pistachio'sand dried cranberries.

Divide dough in half. Roll into a log and and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least three hours or up to three days.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Use a sharp knife, slice the logs into 1/3 inch thick cookies. Place on a prepared cookie sheet (one lined with parchment) and bake for 15-20 minutes. You want the edges to be just beginning to brown.



My work life has been rather busy lately. Our agency is kicking off a new approach to engaging with families to help partner to keep children safe. We had a huge kick off in St. Louis, Missouri, four hours from my home. I arrived home late in the evening the night before our cookie exchange. What I appreciated most was this dough was able cool in the refrigerator the two days I was gone.  One word of advice, I should have let the dough sit at room temperature for a moment before I started slicing. 


My girlfriend sent me a text after trying the cookie. She is not very adventurous in her culinary life. She wanted me to know that the pistachio's scared her but she really liked the cookie. I love it when you try something new and learn it is yummy! 

Thank you coworkers for inviting me to the cookie exchange. I came home with some super yummy cookies. The family wolfed down the peanut butter cookies. I loved the molasses spice cookies and the applesauce cookies! They both reminded me so much of my childhood. My mom used molasses a lot when I was growing up. Mom also used to make an applesauce cake and those cookies felt so familiar! 

I hope you all are enjoying the most wonderful time of the year ! Don't forget to slow down from the hustle and bustle of shopping to enjoy a small pleasure. Have a cookie! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Weekend Project: A PVC Camping Lamp Post and Flag Holder

I have seen a few of these around campsites and I knew I would like to have one. The only problem that I had is The Husband. He already thinks we drag too much stuff with us when we go camping and if I had told him my desire to have a PVC Camping Light Pole he would have shut it down quickly! So, that leaves a girl with only one choice: Figure out how to do it by herself. I did some internet searching and found a few road maps on RV forums. They seemed easy enough! I visited the local hardware store for the supplies: An exterior post lantern light 2 inch PVC pipe (I used 5 feet but had to purchase a 10 foot piece) A 3 inch toilet flange A 3 inch to 2 inch Reducer PVC Glue A 12 foot electric cord kit 2 - 3/4 inch PVC Caps I also used a few supplies we already had on hand: White Spray Paint 3 1/2 foot - 3/4 inch PVC Pipe Drill Bits (1 inch and 1/2 inch) Tent Stakes The first step was preparing the lantern light. I could only find black i

Tonsillectomy (Warning Photos!)

The Short Chic came down with a pretty nasty case of strep throat back in April. So, when The Boy started complaining about his throat hurting about 12 days later, I was pretty confident that he had inherited his sister's strep. Instead, The Boy was diagnosed with a peritonsillar abscess growing on his right tonsil.  We had to immediately see an ENT  Physician who took a needle and drained the abscess. He removed about 5.5 cc of puss from The Boys throat.and then told us that once you have a peritonsillar abscess you were high risk to keep getting them. The Boy's tonsils were now compromised and needed to be removed.  We were told to plan for a two week recovery so we worked a surgery into our summer plans. Between family vacations, summer sports, and the beginning of school The Boy had his second surgery. A tonsillectomy.  Pre-surgery prepping went well. It must be nice to be young and have healthy veins for an IV! The Boy had lots of pre-surgery visitors. My

Liver Cheese: A Family Tradition

Today is an anniversary date. One of those dates you wish you did not have to remember but there is no way you can forget.  Fifteen years ago today,two days after his birthday, my father died of lung cancer. He was a lifelong smoker and his cancer was aggressive. His battle was short. He fought for six short months after his diagnosis. He knew the chemo was not working and that his time was limited. When he came to this realization he became the best dad in the world.                                                In the days before my father's passing, my family shared some memorable moments. One of those moments centers around the deli meat: Liver Cheese.I would not be surprised if you have never heard of it, or even never tasted it. But I was raised on it as it was one of my Dad's favorite things.  What is it? Well, it is a German food that is actually called Leberkase. It is bacon, corned beef, pork, and onion that is ground together and baked. It comes with a